Monday, August 25, 2008

Got bored! So bored, I found myself making a board!

Last night I became a happy lil' wood-shop elf and made myself a drop-through carve board. An old pair of Randal II's and some very old street G's keep this puppy planted! The construction is about as basic as it gets, a 3/4" x 3" spine, with a 6 3/4" wide deck, overall length is 30" reinforced the platform with epoxy and a denim/epoxy layer. (yes, a lil' redneck engineering). Pros: steers well, short wheel base is great for pumping and tight turns, did I mention I made it in 5 hours? drawbacks: the deck flexes on the rails, absorbing much of the weight input for steering, this sucks, as I don't want to add to the board to get it carving more easily but it seems I'll have to. The cure: 1. Adding a sheet of fiberglass/epoxy to the top of the deck then re-applying grip tape 2. Replacing the yellow(medium/hard) bushings with some Khiro whites, oranges or blues, but more more than likely a combination of white and orange will get it carving nice and loose! Going to have to do both... This is going to make a nice garage racer when I buy some good bearings and bigger wheels, and knock out the other mods previously mentioned..Next deck is going to be an experiment in lamination, so I'll be building a steam box, a jig, and setting up a vacuum bag for more efficient epoxy work....Some pics of the quiver..



1 comment:

George Markopoulos said...

nice. wish I where that good with my hands.